How to configure a AT&T / Motorola NVG539 DSL Modem for bridge mode
- Navigate to your U-verse default ip, usually 192.168.1.254
- Go to ‘Home Network’ then ‘Subnets & DHCP’. You will be asked to enter the password to the router, this is found on the side of the device.
- Make sure the “Device IPv4 Address” is not in the same subnet as your personal router, if it is, you need to change it. For example, if they are both 192.168.1.254, change the U-verse to 192.168.2.254.
- You can change the “DHCPv4 Start and End Address” if you would like, I did not. This just limits the U-verse router to assign IP’s and possibly broadcasting. These addresses are mainly used by the TV’s and the wireless extenders for your TV’s.
- Click “SAVE”
- Go to ‘Home Network’ then ‘Wireless’ and turn wireless off. No need to have this on if you are going to be using your own, this will just cause interference with other WIFI signals.
- Go to ‘Firewall’ then ‘ ‘Packet Filter’. Disable Packet Filters. You will be using your own on the personal router.
- Go to ‘NAT/Gaming’ and make sure there is nothing configured. There should’t be, but just make sure.
- Go to ‘Firewall’ then ‘IP Passthrough’
- For ‘Allocation Mode’ choose ‘Passthrough’
- The ‘Passthrough Mode’ choose Manual
- Click ‘SAVE’, the router will tell you to reboot, don’t do it yet.
- Go to ‘Firewall Advanced’ and turn everything off and SAVE
- Click on ’Home Network’ and then ’Subnets / DHCP.’ Set Public Subnet to On and configure one of the public IP’s to the modem and fill out the rest of the fields and click SAVE.
- Now you can reboot the router, this will take about 2 minutes to complete.
More info / references: